Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Project


This is the last photo taken of Sara Jo. On Thanksgiving 11/22/07 by my 7 year old son Michael. He adored Sara as most everyone who ever met her. She was known for her smile. She was taken from us in a terrible tradegy that happened the next day and took her life on 11/24/07.
This project is in her honor. It was one of Sara's goals to provide "scarves" for the seniors at a local nursing home. She had just completed her first scarf and wanted to share her new talentwith people she felt would use and appreciate her work. I was planning to show her how we could make "Lap Blanket or Lapghans" instead as they would be a bit more useful for seniors who really don't venture outside much once a resident in a nursing home.
How can you help?? Many ways, donate finished lapghans, yarn, squares or pieces we can sew together into a lapghan. I will have more size details soon.
Send them to me:
Sue Bates
Sara Smiles Project
840 Hitt St. #2
Ottawa, IL 61350
All lapghans will be marked as a Sara Smiles donation. We are working on those details.
Please leave a comment if you have questions. I will answer as soon as possible.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Sue, I would be happy to send a lapghan in honor of Sara. When did you want them?

Anonymous said...

I'll start working on one soon. Would it be ok to link to your blog, and to post about it on a couple of knitting forums?

suzyknits said...

We are hoping to get things going after the holidays. THANK YOU for your offer to help. Link away the more help the easier on everyone to reach her goal!

Unknown said...

Sue this is such a wonderful idea. It looks like Sara had a beautiful spirit and her memory will surely live on through this project. I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words.

SimplyMe said...

How could I possibly not want to help. What a beautiful way to honor her memory. Just tell me what you want and I'll find a way. I'm sure you've not even begun to heal, so know that your whole family will remain in my prayers for months to come

SimplyMe said...

HEY!!!!! Yep, I'm still digesting all this. Ya know what would be helpful.......her favorite colors.

Big hugs Suz!

Unknown said...

I am sorry anytime any child passes from this world...but remember sadness is the one thing she probably have not wanted anyone to be I am in a group with you and when weeded through my email and saw the newspaper link the article was no longer available.
I think what you are doing is awesome...have you considered asking people to do this in their local communities in her memory? Lots of people like me don't have funds to ship anywhere especially at this time of year but would love to help...
Tonya

Pennie said...

You know I'm a yes and so is lit C. We can't wait to get started this holiday break :) Our goal is 4 before Nov. 08!

PamLeni said...

Sue, I would also like to help Sara smile by joining in the effort to make lapghans. If you need help in any other way, just let me know. I live close and would be happy to lend a hand.